Sharing pictures and videos on social media platforms such as Instagram has become one of the most popular activities around the globe. Many people use this platform to express themselves and show their creativity in new and interesting ways. But just any image and videos are not allowed on Instagram, so what content is not allowed? This article will explore the type of content that Instagram does not approve of, as well as other related rules and guidelines that users should be aware of.
1. Introduction to Instagram’s Content Restrictions
Instagram can be a great place to share content, interact with others and find inspiration. However, it is important to understand that it has rules and regulations that everyone is expected to adhere to, so as to provide the best platform for current and potential users. Instagram has content restrictions in place to ensure users keep to this, with most of the restrictions dealing with content that is deemed to be offensive or inappropriate.
When it comes to content restrictions, Instagram has certain rules that all users should abide by. These rules apply to almost all types of content, including:
- Hateful language– This includes any messages containing threatening or abusive language, either towards an individual, a group or indirectly.
- Harassment– Content that targets an individual or a group with derogatory or violent language, or any other forms of discrimination based on their beliefs, race, background and so on.
- Nudity/pornography– Any content that features nudity, reveals genitals, and is pornographic in nature is subject to content restrictions. This also applies to cartoons, with or without nudity.
It is important to note that content restrictions are not just limited to the above-mentioned examples and on Instagram, content related to self-harm, drugs, trafficking, terrorism and more is not allowed. Knowing what these restrictions are and how to abide by them is essential if you want to use Instagram freely and not risk getting your account banned.
2. Defining Prohibited Content & Behavior
The types of content and behavior that are prohibited go beyond what may be illegal under applicable laws, as this policy applies to behavior in the workplace and associated events that may not be illegal but which could impact negatively on the workplace, our employees and our partners. Prohibited content and behavior includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Discriminatory comments or jokes directed at anyone’s gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.;
- Harassive comments, sexual propositions, or implications of sexual assault;
- Threats of violence or physical harm;
- Insults or negative attacks directed at specific persons, organizations, or groups;
- Content not in line with generally recognized principles of etiquette, courtesy, and respect;
- Offensive language or crude representations;
- Statements, manuscripts, photographs, or other works created or sponsored by a third party when any such work is the subject of an outstanding contractual or financial obligation to the third party.
In addition, our employees are expected to follow other policies and procedures related to their access to workplace technologies, scheduling for off-site or telework assignments and other approved activities outside the workplace, as well as the ethical standards of the company.
3. Examples of Disallowed Content
Any content that violates the intellectual property rights of another person is strictly prohibited. This includes the unauthorized use of texts, photos, music, videos, and other digital media, or downloading, streaming or uploading copyrighted content, such as music or movies.
To maintain the integrity of our service, any content deemed offensive, obscene, profane, pornographic, discriminatory, or in any way inappropriate, including anything that is deemed culturally or religiously offensive, is prohibited.
Below is a list of disallowed content:
- Hate speech and any form of language that may be perceived as derogatory and/or offensive
- Sensitive topics such as politics, sexuality and religion
- Defamatory, libelous or slanderous content designed to manipulate and deceive
- Illegal activities, or promoting any kind of illegal activity
- Content that contains software viruses, malware, spyware or other malicious code
4. Punishments for Posting Prohibited Content
Depending on the situation and on the content of the post, the users may be subject to the following punishments:
- Verbal warning – The moderator may issue a verbal warning if the post is considered offensive, but it does not involve any specific rule or policy.
- Reprimand – For posts that contain prohibited content, such as bullying, abuse or psychological harm, the moderator may issue a written reprimand, which will be stored in the user’s profile.
- Suspension – If a post is considered extremely offensive or contains obscene content, the user may be temporarily suspended from the platform.
- Permanent Ban – A permanent ban may be issued if a user repeatedly disregards the policies or posts inappropriate content, or if the content is particularly inflammatory or offensive.
It is important to note that in some cases the moderator may decide to take harsher measures, such as suspending or banning the user’s account, even if the content of the post does not violate any specific rule or policy.
In other cases, the moderator may issue lesser punishments, such as a verbal warning or a written reprimand. The decision of the moderator is to be taken into consideration and respected. Repeated or serious violations may result in more severe punishments.
Summarizing Main Points
In , there are 5 primary points to keep in mind while considering digital marketing strategies:
- Marketers should establish overall digital marketing objectives to reach the right audience and increase engagement.
- Align marketing plans with the overall goals of the organization.
- Build an effective presence on social media to optimize campaigns and enhance brand credibility.
- Create an effective website, including SEO optimization.
- Analyze data and use the results to drive both planning and optimization of marketing efforts.
Research & Analysis
Comprehensive research and analysis are necessary for success in digital marketing. Marketers must go beyond straightforward metrics and dig deep into the data to identify key insights from which decisions and strategies can be developed. Engaging with a digital marketing agency can help uncover additional data-driven insights and maximize marketing efforts.
Developing Digital Strategies
At the heart of any successful digital marketing plan is a detailed strategy that includes tactical goals, milestones, and specific tactics. Planning strategies and testing them based on business objectives can help marketers create campaigns that are tailored to the needs of their target audience, driving improved SEO results and conversions. Overall, understanding the type of content that is prohibited on Instagram will help inform your posting behavior and ensure that you are properly adhering to Instagram’s policies. Be sure to review any changes to the list periodically, and keep your posts in line with Instagram’s code of conduct. Failing to do so could lead to inappropriate posts being taken down and even account suspension.